Monday, June 13, 2011

Another Year Ended

"Humility is silent confidence."
Eric Hurtgen
from 25 things I've Learned In My 35 Years

Another school year has come to a close and already I am considering project ideas. 2010/2011 was an amazing blur of paint and photo chemicals, clay and printmaking ink. Now that the dust has settled (literally) I've been reflecting on the goodness of God and the way He chooses to bless people by using other people. Today, two specific people came to mind- Eric Hurtgen and Dennis Rayfield.

Eric Hurtgen was Trinity's final guest speaker for the year. He blessed the students by sharing a talk titled 25 Things I've Learned In My 35 Years. It was a moment of beauty. A quote from St. Philip Neri (16th century) is appropriate, "The Lord grants in a moment what we may have been unable to obtain in dozens of years."

Dennis Rayfield (father of Chris, a graduate this year) and I have developed an ongoing conversation regarding photography. He and I 'remember the days', the golden era when cameras actually contained film. Through the generosity of Dennis, Trinity Art now has a 4x5 view camera, with accoutrements, and a film enlarger.  Plans are underway to have a full-fledged, traditional darkroom next school year.

Thank you Eric. Thank you Dennis. Your gifts touch eternity.

For a good how-to article titled You Only Need 5 Things to Make Your Own Home Studio, click here.
 

Seroco Camera and Accesories
circa 1910

Besseler 23-C Enlarger
with lens, filters and paper

No comments:

Post a Comment