Saturday, May 26, 2012

got art?

"The issues we encounter as students of art are life lessons and should always stay with us. Without them, we are not students of life."

Trinity Gestalt
Acrylic on Canvas


     The other day, a student asked me, "Do you think Marilyn Monroe had good morals?"
"I didn't really know her that well" I replied. I sometimes speak before I think the words through (which is why I believe written thoughts make for better quotes). But, the more I did think about my reply the more truthful it sounded. I didn't know Marilyn Monroe at all. I have seen a few of her films. I have read and heard rumors of her life. But I didn't know her. Too often we judge by appearance and hearsay, and art, and their makers, is not excluded.

     This year we have discussed the lives of dozens of artists; we have viewed hundreds of paintings, drawings, sculptures and photographs. At times I felt we joined their conversations- for what is good art if not the beginning of a conversation? Be a part of the Trinity Art conversation by becoming a follower of the Trinity Art Blog. The first 100 new followers will receive a special gift- a 4" square from the Trinity Gestalt (the piece in its entirety is pictured above).

     On May 24, 2012, the students, faculty and administration placed their painted hand-print on a sheet of raw cotton canvas. Mr. Doug Corwin, our Dean of Students, was first. The finished work has been cut into 4" squares and will be shipped directly to you, complete with a dated description and signed by Trinity's art teacher (see below). These will look beautiful hanging in your home or office and will make the statement, 'I support the work of Trinity's students.' There are only 100 squares so don't delay. After you click the Join this site button on the blog, be sure to email your mailing address to- 

mcarter@trinityprep.com

And may the conversation continue!



post scriptum
     I received an email from Amanda Johnson, a former student who now writes and teaches. She said, "I've been looking at your most recent posts on the Trinity blog, and I have to say I think the work on that page now is probably the best group of student work I've ever seen (May 23rd Post). Not only are the works enjoyable to look at, original, and formally solid, many of the pieces show that the artist clearly has something to say and has delineated that point in an intelligible manner- this is more than can be said for a lot of famous contemporary art.

     To read an excellent article by Amanda Johnson click here

No comments:

Post a Comment