Sunday, November 28, 2010

ArtCards, Prints and Masks

The ArtCards are Here
Just in time for Christmas, the First Edition Trinity ArtCards are available. See Grace in the office or email mcarter@trinityprep.com for an order form.




"Be it true or false, what is said about men has as much influence upon their lives, and especially upon their destinies, as what they do."
Victor Hugo
Les Miserables


Here is something from Arthur C. Clarke I have been contemplating-






Three Laws of Technology:







1. When a scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right.
When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.

2. The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.

3. Any sufficiently developed technology is indistinguishable from magic.

As I ponder the spiritual ramifications of Mr. Clarke's words, I see a correlation with the power of words as they are spoken over a student by a teacher. Whether the words are true or false, students tend to believe them, especially if the words confirm a secret suspicion the student has hidden in their heart.  My earliest memory of an art teacher was my Third Grade teacher. I looked forward to 'art-time'. One day the teacher stopped at my desk, picked up my drawing, and, in front of the class made demeaning comments loud enough for the class to hear. Decades would pass before I enjoyed drawing again. Numerous times my students have told me that their dislike of art stemmed from the critical words of a former art teacher. Last week a student repeated my story when he told me that the first time he was publicly humiliated was in a lower school art class. That student is one of my daily reminders that teaching is serious business; human beings are impacted by my language, they are filled with alacrity or apathy. I read James 3:1 and tremble. 

Click here for an encouraging word to artists by Makoto Fujimura.


Printmaking

Students in the printmaking classes finished their woodcuts Friday.
Here is a selection:










Sculpture
The sculpture classes finished masks friday.
Here are a few:


Mechal Harward


David Rogers


Sam Carter


Allie Meyer


Lindsay Frasciello




Will Levings


...smile of the day

No comments:

Post a Comment