Saturday, November 10, 2012

For Parents Eyes

The Art Room
iPhone photo by Mechal Harward


"Art washes from the soul the dust of everyday life."
Pablo Picasso

This Post Is For Parents

     It is my privilege to work with your children. They are some of the most creative teenagers on the planet- young people who bring creative solutions to assignments, solutions that provide an opportunity to see into their world. It is a world often guarded. Sometimes the questions they ask are revealing. One of my students asked recently, "Why is art important?" I sensed that he sincerely wanted an answer he could wrap his brain around. Here are a few thoughts that came to mind:

Art restores wonder.

Art allows us to see through another's eyes.

Art is a Lingua Franca.

Art reminds us we are human.

Art is the wardrobe of our imagination.

     Here is a brief update on the art classes:

Art History- Raphael

Photography- Pinhole cameras complete, photos being taken

Printmaking- Etchings proofed, hand-colored

Sculpture- Assemblages with found objects provided by one of our parents (thank you Adrienne Fisher!)

Recommended Reading
for the artfully curious:

John Walford

I was first introduced to Great Themes in Art many years ago when I taught at Crichton College in Memphis, TN. I used Great Themes as a primary text, at Crichton and at Westminster Academy. It is possibly the best art appreciation/history text ever written.


by Calvin Seerveld

Rainbows For the Fallen World changed, not only the way I teach art but, more importantly, the way I see and make art. My wife and I were blessed to have Dr. Seerveld spend a weekend in our home. Though the visit was years ago, I am continually reminded of the conversations and the afternoon walk we took together.
To read an excerpt from Rainbows click here.


by Chaim Potok 

In My Name is Asher Lev, Chaim Potok has articulated the artistic process clearly and succinctly. If you have ever wondered what is going on in the mind of an artist, read My Name is Asher Lev.


and, hot off the press:

James Romaine, Editor

Simply amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment